What Are You Reading Wednesday is hosted by It’s A Reading Thing!
How to participate:
Grab the book you are currently reading and answer three questions:
1. What’s the name of your current read?
2. Go to page 34 in your book or 34% in your eBook and share a couple of sentences.
3. Would you like to live in the world that exists within your book? Why or why not?
(P.S. The image in the banner above is Bookshelf by Kaeros_Stock)
- I’m currently reading The Stone Mattress by Margaret Atwood. I read Cat’s Eye at university and I’ve also read The Handmaid’s Tale. Her writing has always been fascinating. As this seems to be the year of short story collections (yes! finally!) I had to pick this up from Scarthin when I saw it.
- ‘”Turn it off! Alphinland! Turn it off now!” he says. He must mean the computer. Shaken, she looks over her shoulder – he was right there! Then she clicks the Shut Down button. Just as the screen darkens, there’s a heavy, dull thud, and the lights go off. All the lights. The streetlights too. How did he know in advance? Does Ewan have prophetic vision? He never used to.’
- I don’t know if I would like to live in the world, though it’s certainly interesting, but it’s not too far removed from reality. What mainly puts me off is the quote that made me pick the book up in the first place, from the Independent: ‘If this collection can be said to have a clear uniting theme, it might be that by a certain stage of life we’ve all got at least one person we would really like to kill’.
What are you reading at the moment? Let me know in the comments! If you’ve read any Margaret Atwood, give me some recommendations as to what to read next.
Also don’t forget to check out my poll for the 2016 classics challenge and vote on what I should read in January!