Thanks very much to Katie at Katastrophique for nominating me! (Many, many moons ago…)
The award works like this: 1) the person who nominated you answers 11 questions and nominates 11 people. 2) they create 11 more questions for their nominees. 3) Those nominated will, in turn, answer those questions, nominate 11 other bloggers, and write a new set of 11 questions for those nominees.
Here are my questions!
1: What song do you associate with your best memory?
Believe it or not this is a rather difficult one, given that I have a terrible long term memory. I do have a whole album, one of my favourite albums of all time – Paramore’s self titled – which always reminds me of coming back from a run with Katie (Katastrophique) my second year of uni. I always felt better afterwards and this album got me through some really hard times. It also contains most of the song lyrics I want to get tattooed at some point.
2: If you could take one book to a desert island, what would it be?
Just one?? I have 8 on the go at any one time!
But you could probably have guessed it: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. It’s further on in the series so there’s a lot of plot/action going on, everyone’s very sassy, and there’s always new dimensions I haven’t considered the first time around.
3: Would you rather lose smell or taste?
Smell, I think? Though they affect each other. Taste is far too important to my eating habits, unfortunately.
4: Why did you start blogging?
I started because I love talking to people about books. I didn’t really realise how much I missed talking to people about books until I started volunteering at Oxfam Books. A blog felt like a natural way for me to be part of a community that loves stories as much as I do.
5: Do you think social media is essential for blogging? Why?
I think social media is essential purely because it’s such a vital and easy way to reach a huge network of people and opinions. Blogging is a kind of social media, probably the original ‘social media’ because before Twitter and Facebook there was Livejournal and Myspace and *shudders* Bebo. For me, blogging is about forming communities and starting discussions, which is exactly what new media does, for better or worse.
If you’re talking about social media as in essential to promote your blog, then yes, I think it is. Quality content is the highest priority but if you don’t promote they don’t read. And sometimes even if you do promote they don’t read; there’s so much more advertising nowadays people are desensitised to it. But if you’ve got something people are interested in and you promote it then hopefully the readers you do have will pass on the good word to people that are interested, but may have ignored your promotion.
6: You have a 10 piece capsule wardrobe. What’s in it?
This is interesting because I’ve been looking at starting a capsule wardrobe, so this question is actually really useful. I would say:
- My brown/tan biker jacket from Oasis that I wear with everything in Autumn.
- A really good quality pair of black jeans, and I mean black, not the navy mine always seem to fade to.
- Ankle boots. I am all about ankle boots right now. I have a great pair of black biker ankle boots if we’re getting specific.
- An artsy dress. This sounds really vague. Like this one, which I own:
But with the aforementioned ankle boots.
5. My Oasis yellow scarf, which I have been wearing obsessively.
6. A nice slouchy v-neck jumper, probably in grey or beige. Or burgundy. My obsession with colour will destroy this capsule wardrobe.
7. A great over the shoulder bag that can fit at least two books in it, along with my purse, keys, phone, etc.
8. A plain black tailored coat, with pockets (fake pockets are the bane of my life), no collar, and warm but not too warm because I am the picky temperature sensitive version of Goldilocks.
9. A good quality stripy t-shirt, short sleeves, probably in red or blue.
10. A black pencil skirt, not because I wear a lot of pencil skirts (or skirts, for that matter) but because it’s smart but can still be dressy if you get the right one.
There! 10 is not enough but that was actually really helpful, if we’re assuming that everything goes neatly with everything else.
7: Which elemental power (fire, water, air or earth) would you rather have and why?
Hmmm. This is interesting because I am a ridiculously huge Avatar (the Last Airbender, not the film. Or the other film. We don’t talk about that film) fan. I’ve never been able to decide what I’d be, because each character has their own strengths and makes their own element look awesome. Fire I’m immediately drawn to because we all associate it as the most powerful; but to that, my brain says Toph Beifong. And water! Katara in the last few seasons got seriously kickass.
I guess I’d have to go with water, because as well as being a ridiculously powerful weapon/defence, it’s also used for healing. It’s got it all! (I know you probably didn’t mean for me to go on a ramble about Avatar but it’s SO GOOD.)
8: If you were to change your blog title, what would it be to?
I really don’t know. It’s called Becca Eats Books because my dad is always saying I devour them because I’m a fast reader. (Though I’m slower than I was.) My tumblr is called swimswimforyourlife after the Jack’s Mannequin song, and that means a lot to me but it doesn’t fit here. I’ll get back to you?
9: What’s your go-to party drink (alcohols or not)?
Alcohol – Malibu & Coke, because I like sweet drinks, much to the detriment of my teeth. Though I am discovering more and more wine that I like. It’s happening!!
10: You have to blow £1000 in one shop. Which one and why?
At first, I would have said Waterstones, my spiritual home, but then I thought about independent bookshops, and graphic novels, and let’s just face it, I am far more likely to blow £1000 in Page 45 than anywhere else.
11: What is the best thing you did this week?
I’m not really sure what you mean by best thing, so I’m going to talk about my favourite thing I’ve done this week – Practice on the drums. I’ve just finished learning Since You’ve Been Gone by Rainbow (not Kelly Clarkson) and I’m going to learn Give Me Your Love (Sigala feat. John Newman & Nile Rodgers). It’s been over a year now and I still love it every time.
My nominees are (sorry if you’ve already done this one – I did try to check):
Laura at Reading Sanctuary (no pressure though)
And as I only really wanted 6 nominees, it’s only fair to have 6 questions.
And my questions are:
- If you could live inside any book world which one would it be?
- How do you decide what to read – do you read reviews/go by word of mouth/what looks pretty on the shelf?
- What was your favourite childhood book?
- What is your favourite meme or feature to write? If you don’t have any, what do you like the most about blogging/bookstagram?
- You’ve just moved house. You only have one shelf to put your favourite books on. It will only hold 5 books. What are they?
- Do you ever listen to music while reading? (I know some people do and I can’t imagine it ever working for me, so I’m curious.)